Skip to main content

Google Classroom ~ My FAVORITE Techie Tool of 2014


Google Classroom


Google Classroom is by far my favorite Educational Technology Tool of 2014.  Everyday I find another great way to use Google Classroom!  If you have a Google Apps for Education Domain, then you can use Google Classroom.  It was fully released to schools in late August 2014.  By October, Google already had updates to the tool because they listened to all of the teachers using the product and added features that were most requested.

Google Classroom allows teachers to make announcements or assignments through an easy to use Google Drive Management Tool.  As, I was told at Google Headquarters this past July, Google Classroom is not meant to be Learning Management System such as Edmodo, Schoology, Moodle, or Blackboard.  It is supposed to help teachers manage their Google Drive assignments with students.  Teachers can make a template in their Google Drive and then through Google Classroom assign that template to the students by making a copy for each student.  Or, teachers can make an assignment and each student can easily start their won document, presentation, etc. through Google Classroom.  In addition to making assignments through the Google Drive. you can assign students to watch YouTube videos or to go to a specific website.  

When you first set up your Google Classroom, make sure you click "I'm a Teacher" so that you can create classes.  As a teacher you can create classes and join classes. It is a great option to create classes to be used with other teachers for book studies, collaboration on curriculum committees, etc. where the facilitator creates the class and the other teachers join the class.  When creating a class for your students, make sure they click "I'm a Student" when they first go to Google Classroom, which will only allow them to join a class.  If a student clicks the "I'm a Teacher" button, the domain administrator can change that student's permissions back to a student level access.

I'm sure that there will be another update to Google Classroom early in 2015.  Google does listen to the teachers using the product and will continue to make it what teachers need.  The teachers in my district use standards based grading and grade everything on a 4 point scale.  In this scale, there are ".5s".  So, many of the teachers have requested that Google allow the .5 grades in the gradebook side of Google Classroom.  At this time, if you try to give a grade such as 2.5, it reverts back to the whole number of 2.  I am hoping that this feature will be included in their next update.

Overall, there are so many awesome features of Google Classroom, that I had to choose it as my favorite tool of 2014.  If you teach in a Google Apps for Education District and haven't tried Google Classroom yet, please do so soon.  I know that you will love it, and it will change the way you teach.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAMR and Google ~ A Beautiful Combination

I've been really investigating the SAMR model lately.  If you aren't familiar with the SAMR for integrating technology into the classroom, that's ok.  I first learned about it last year at a conference.  I went to a breakout session and came out more confused than when I went in.  So, I took it upon myself to learn about it through researching it online. The SAMR model is this:  Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition The more I investigated, the more I realized that our district needs to really look at where we are on this model.  Yes, we are a Google for Education district!  Yes, all students and teachers have access to Google Drive!  But, NO, we are not redefining education with technology. One day I was inspired by a fellow Google for Education trainer to really look at how we can use Google Drive to redefine our lessons.  So, I created the graphic below with ideas on how to use Google Drive and other Google products through the SAMR model.  

Contraction Mania!

This week our first grade team analyzed some Fountas and Pinnell level G books to figure out what needed to be taught in reading to help our students get to that level.  We realized that many of the books contained contractions and words with inflected endings.  Our first plan of action was to immerse students in a word study of contractions. So, this week I introduced the word "contractions" to my class.  I first wrote the word on a piece of chart paper and had them turn and talk and try to tell their partners what the word was.  It was funny listening to them talk to each other.  After about a minute I had them turn back and tell me what they discussed.  I called on one child who then said, "We decided that we don't know what a contraction is."  Then, the rest of the class agreed with him.  I just had to chuckle at that.  It was so cute!  Then, I introduced contractions to the kids slowly using paint sample cards that I had made in advance. ~ I got the idea

Web 2.0 tools

I've spent the summer going doing research and going to workshops to gain more knowledge on using web 2.0 tools in the classroom.  I always wondered why they call them web 2.0 tools.  Well, when the web was first created, it was used for research and to gain knowledge in a variety of topics.  Now, there are many sites out there that are interactive in nature.  These sites still help students gain knowledge, but through interacting with learning instead of just reading about it.  These sites are called web 2.0. I have spent many hours this summer visiting sites on a variety of subjects and have compiled the following list of my favorite web 2.0 sites.  The topics I have compiled so far are: Student Engagement, Collaboration, Math, English/Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science .  I will also be researching sites on Art, Foreign Language, Business, and more, and will post those when I get the list compiled. I hope you enjoy the sites I have found.  If you have a favo