Skip to main content

Reflections of ISTE 2015

As a "newbie" to the ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) conference, I didn't quite know what to expect.  I've been to conferences before, but this was a conference on steroids.  There were so many workshops to choose from. So many different types of workshops, connecting opportunities, demonstrations, etc. were available that I wasn't quite sure what to do. I think I must've looked like a little lost puppy in a huge, unknown world.  The first day I was there, I walked into this huge convention center to ISTE Central and was overwhelmed.  It looked like ground control for NASA or something.  I signed into a computer where immediately my nametag was printed for me, and I was handed all the materials I needed to get started on my journey.  "WOW" was all I could think of.  "This is going to be great"!

From my hotel room, which overlooked the loading dock of the convention center, I could see all of the crates with various educational companies stamped on them. (I know, your jealous of my awesome view)!  I saw McGraw-Hill, Mastery Connect, Samsung, Acer, Pearson, Scholastic, and Best Buy, just to name a few. So, I shouldn't have been surprised when I walked into the Expo Hall.  But, nothing could've prepared me for what I was about to see.  I was in awe!

Yes, I was given a map of the Expo Hall with  my registration materials, but it pretty much  meant nothing until I got in there to see it for myself.  The map ended up being kind of  useless, because I just found myself wandering  around from booth to booth. The big companies all had schedules of when they would be doing product demonstrations.  These demos were going on at the same time as all of the ISTE workshops.  What is a "newbie" to do??


Well, I will tell you!  I just kept wandering around, taking pictures, gathering schedules and materials, filling out forms from companies.  I completely lost track of time, so the workshop that I really wanted to attend was completely full by the time that I walked the 3 blocks (literally) it took to get there.  Bummer!  So, I ended up going to a workshop that really wasn't that great, which I left halfway through and went back to the Expo Hall.

Being from a Google Apps For Education (GAFE) school district, I was drawn to the Google for Education booth like a magnet that kept pulling me back in.  Yes, I am a certified trainer and innovator, but you can always learn more from your fellow teachers, trainers, and innovators,  So, I explored the booth.  You could experience Google Classroom, view presentations about the different apps in Google for Education, or go on a Google Expedition.


In the keynote the opening day, Soledad O'Brien had people on stage experiencing Google Expeditions.  What an amazing product this is!  I got to experience it first hand at the Google Booth.  You use Google Cardboard with your device and the teacher controls the exhibition through a
tablet with the Expeditions app.  This is something that will be available in Fall 2015.  The exhibition I was able to go on was a museum.  We were taken to different parts of the museum and learned about various topics.  It is a 360 degree experience.  It felt kind of silly walking around in a circle, but it was so cool.  I can't wait until it is available for all teachers in the fall.  It will be a huge addition to any curriculum.  For more on Google Expeditions, click here.

Well, this blog post is getting rather long, so I'll end it for now.  During the next few weeks I will add more posts about what I learned at ISTE 2015. I think it could literally take months for me to write about everything that I learned, but I will make sure that I keep it short and sweet.   Thanks ISTE and Philadelphia for a "totally awesome" experience!

Selfie with Ben Franklin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAMR and Google ~ A Beautiful Combination

I've been really investigating the SAMR model lately.  If you aren't familiar with the SAMR for integrating technology into the classroom, that's ok.  I first learned about it last year at a conference.  I went to a breakout session and came out more confused than when I went in.  So, I took it upon myself to learn about it through researching it online. The SAMR model is this:  Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition The more I investigated, the more I realized that our district needs to really look at where we are on this model.  Yes, we are a Google for Education district!  Yes, all students and teachers have access to Google Drive!  But, NO, we are not redefining education with technology. One day I was inspired by a fellow Google for Education trainer to really look at how we can use Google Drive to redefine our lessons.  So, I created the graphic below with ideas on how to use Google Drive and other Google products through the SAMR model.  

Contraction Mania!

This week our first grade team analyzed some Fountas and Pinnell level G books to figure out what needed to be taught in reading to help our students get to that level.  We realized that many of the books contained contractions and words with inflected endings.  Our first plan of action was to immerse students in a word study of contractions. So, this week I introduced the word "contractions" to my class.  I first wrote the word on a piece of chart paper and had them turn and talk and try to tell their partners what the word was.  It was funny listening to them talk to each other.  After about a minute I had them turn back and tell me what they discussed.  I called on one child who then said, "We decided that we don't know what a contraction is."  Then, the rest of the class agreed with him.  I just had to chuckle at that.  It was so cute!  Then, I introduced contractions to the kids slowly using paint sample cards that I had made in advance. ~ I got the idea

Web 2.0 tools

I've spent the summer going doing research and going to workshops to gain more knowledge on using web 2.0 tools in the classroom.  I always wondered why they call them web 2.0 tools.  Well, when the web was first created, it was used for research and to gain knowledge in a variety of topics.  Now, there are many sites out there that are interactive in nature.  These sites still help students gain knowledge, but through interacting with learning instead of just reading about it.  These sites are called web 2.0. I have spent many hours this summer visiting sites on a variety of subjects and have compiled the following list of my favorite web 2.0 sites.  The topics I have compiled so far are: Student Engagement, Collaboration, Math, English/Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science .  I will also be researching sites on Art, Foreign Language, Business, and more, and will post those when I get the list compiled. I hope you enjoy the sites I have found.  If you have a favo