Skip to main content

Formative Assessments and Technology


Formative assessments do not have to be just paper/pencil tests. Technology is a great way to quickly assess your students to see where their level of proficiency is on the various subject standards. Have you tried any of the following technology tools to help you in your formative assessments?

  • Mentimeter - quick exit ticket assessments
  • Kahoot - game based quizzes that allow you to download the results
  • Quizziz - review and practice content in a game-like format
  • Quizalize - students complete assessment questions at their own pace
  • GoSoapBox - features include Classroom Q&A and a "Confusion Barometer"
  • Zaption & EdPuzzle - create assessment questions built right into your video instruction lessons
  • Google Forms - amazing add-ons allow for differentiation and data collection
  • Go Formative - use standards-aligned questions for a quick and easy snapshot of learning


Don't let Formative Assessments drag you down!  Try using some of the technology resources listed above and get back your life instead of spending it grading assessments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAMR and Google ~ A Beautiful Combination

I've been really investigating the SAMR model lately.  If you aren't familiar with the SAMR for integrating technology into the classroom, that's ok.  I first learned about it last year at a conference.  I went to a breakout session and came out more confused than when I went in.  So, I took it upon myself to learn about it through researching it online. The SAMR model is this:  Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition The more I investigated, the more I realized that our district needs to really look at where we are on this model.  Yes, we are a Google for Education district!  Yes, all students and teachers have access to Google Drive!  But, NO, we are not redefining education with technology. One day I was inspired by a fellow Google for Education trainer to really look at how we can use Google Drive to redefine our lessons.  So, I created the graphic below with ideas on how to use Google Drive and other Google products through the SAMR model.  

Contraction Mania!

This week our first grade team analyzed some Fountas and Pinnell level G books to figure out what needed to be taught in reading to help our students get to that level.  We realized that many of the books contained contractions and words with inflected endings.  Our first plan of action was to immerse students in a word study of contractions. So, this week I introduced the word "contractions" to my class.  I first wrote the word on a piece of chart paper and had them turn and talk and try to tell their partners what the word was.  It was funny listening to them talk to each other.  After about a minute I had them turn back and tell me what they discussed.  I called on one child who then said, "We decided that we don't know what a contraction is."  Then, the rest of the class agreed with him.  I just had to chuckle at that.  It was so cute!  Then, I introduced contractions to the kids slowly using paint sample cards that I had made in advance. ~ I got the idea

Web 2.0 tools

I've spent the summer going doing research and going to workshops to gain more knowledge on using web 2.0 tools in the classroom.  I always wondered why they call them web 2.0 tools.  Well, when the web was first created, it was used for research and to gain knowledge in a variety of topics.  Now, there are many sites out there that are interactive in nature.  These sites still help students gain knowledge, but through interacting with learning instead of just reading about it.  These sites are called web 2.0. I have spent many hours this summer visiting sites on a variety of subjects and have compiled the following list of my favorite web 2.0 sites.  The topics I have compiled so far are: Student Engagement, Collaboration, Math, English/Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science .  I will also be researching sites on Art, Foreign Language, Business, and more, and will post those when I get the list compiled. I hope you enjoy the sites I have found.  If you have a favo