Skip to main content

Google Slides ~ My 5 favorite tips!

Google Slides

Google Slides is an amazing presentation creator.  If you are still using PowerPoint, DON'T!  With Google Slides' opportunity of anywhere/anytime access and sharing capabilities, it is all you need to present your information in an engaging slide presentation.

After facilitating Google Bootcamp with teachers in my district for 4 days, I'd like to share out my favorite 5 Google Slides tips that I shared with them.   

1.  Crop an image to a shape...
  • Insert your image onto a slide
  • Click on the image so it is highlighted.
  • Click on the little arrow next to the crop icon.
  • Choose the shape, callout, etc. that you'd like your image to be cropped to.
  • And you're done!
  

2.  Slides Carnival
  • Can't find a template in Google Slides that excites you?  Then go to Slides Carnival to find more.  Just make a copy of any of the templates on the site.  Re-name them (put the word template in your name so you don't forget it's a template), and use it over and over again.  You can even start a new presentation and import that theme instead of making a copy of your template each time you want to use it.
3.  Link to other slides in your presentation.  
  • Ever wonder how Jeopardy templates work?  Well, shapes (for buttons) were created or text was written and links were created to make those shapes or words link to other slides in the presentation.  I found this Jeopardy template by Eric Curtis for Jeopardy.  Just make a copy of it to use it, and definitely give Eric a shout-out if you use it.  But, don't forget to try making your own interactive slide presentations by using the insert link option and link to other slides in your presentation.
4.  Edit Master
  • Once you have a theme for your presentation, try editing the "Master" to give you more customizable options for your theme.  To get to this option, just click on the word "Slide" in the top menu and choose "Edit Master".  Here you can change the fonts, colors, sizes, etc. and make your theme your own.
5. And finally, the new Q&A option in Google Slides...
  • The new Q&A option is just like having your own back channel (such as Today's Meet or Backchannel Chat) going on while you present your lesson.  I think this option still needs a little more tweaking before it will be totally awesome, but it is still awesome.  I would like for there to be an option to just click on something while you are in presentation mode to see the questions coming in, or the option to have the Q&A window now show on the screen, but only show on the teacher's computer.  Right now the presentation and Q&A are in two separate windows with no ability to see the questions without going to the separate window and showing that on the screen.  Yes, you could use your "freeze" button on your interactive white board, but that takes extra time.  There's also the Extend option for interactive whiteboards that support that option.  But, if Google could somehow do it without having to use one of those other options, it would definitely qualify as "Totally Awesome to the MAX"!  You should still try this new Q&A option to see how you like it and to give students the opportunity to ask questions throughout the presentation without actually having to speak outloud.
I'm at the ISTE 2016 conference this week and am hoping to learn even more tricks and tips to share.  If you have a favorite tip for Google Slides, be sure to comment below! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAMR and Google ~ A Beautiful Combination

I've been really investigating the SAMR model lately.  If you aren't familiar with the SAMR for integrating technology into the classroom, that's ok.  I first learned about it last year at a conference.  I went to a breakout session and came out more confused than when I went in.  So, I took it upon myself to learn about it through researching it online. The SAMR model is this:  Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition The more I investigated, the more I realized that our district needs to really look at where we are on this model.  Yes, we are a Google for Education district!  Yes, all students and teachers have access to Google Drive!  But, NO, we are not redefining education with technology. One day I was inspired by a fellow Google for Education trainer to really look at how we can use Google Drive to redefine our lessons.  So, I created the graphic below with ideas on how to use Google Drive and other Google products through the SAMR model.  

Contraction Mania!

This week our first grade team analyzed some Fountas and Pinnell level G books to figure out what needed to be taught in reading to help our students get to that level.  We realized that many of the books contained contractions and words with inflected endings.  Our first plan of action was to immerse students in a word study of contractions. So, this week I introduced the word "contractions" to my class.  I first wrote the word on a piece of chart paper and had them turn and talk and try to tell their partners what the word was.  It was funny listening to them talk to each other.  After about a minute I had them turn back and tell me what they discussed.  I called on one child who then said, "We decided that we don't know what a contraction is."  Then, the rest of the class agreed with him.  I just had to chuckle at that.  It was so cute!  Then, I introduced contractions to the kids slowly using paint sample cards that I had made in advance. ~ I got the idea

Web 2.0 tools

I've spent the summer going doing research and going to workshops to gain more knowledge on using web 2.0 tools in the classroom.  I always wondered why they call them web 2.0 tools.  Well, when the web was first created, it was used for research and to gain knowledge in a variety of topics.  Now, there are many sites out there that are interactive in nature.  These sites still help students gain knowledge, but through interacting with learning instead of just reading about it.  These sites are called web 2.0. I have spent many hours this summer visiting sites on a variety of subjects and have compiled the following list of my favorite web 2.0 sites.  The topics I have compiled so far are: Student Engagement, Collaboration, Math, English/Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science .  I will also be researching sites on Art, Foreign Language, Business, and more, and will post those when I get the list compiled. I hope you enjoy the sites I have found.  If you have a favo